* No recruitment agencies please *
We are seeking an experienced Data Engineer to join our growing team and work primarily on a global pet care brand.
You will be responsible for expanding and optimising our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimising data flow and collection for cross functional teams. The role will work with our team to create pipelines that help the Strategy team to generate a constant stream of reporting and actionable insights, often before the client and internal team know to ask for them.
The main challenge here is to interpret briefs from the Stategy team and create a technical scope with a system design, while also working closely with software engineering team. Your day-to-day will involve dealing various data collection points of different shapes and sizes and building reliable, scalable pipelines that can be flexible to suit the needs of the client.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimising data systems and building them from the ground up. The Data Engineer will support our software engineers, data analysts and data scientists on data initiatives and will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent throughout ongoing projects.
You must be self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimising or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Creating and maintaining optimal data pipeline architecture
- Assembling large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements
- Identifying, designing, and implementing internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimising data delivery and re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability.
- Building the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources, using SQL and ‘big data’ technologies.
- Building analytics tools that utilise the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into customer acquisition, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics.
- Working with stakeholders including Account Managers, Product Owners, Data and Development teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Keeping our data separated and secure across national boundaries through multiple data centers and regions.
- Working with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in our data systems.
Required skills and experience include:
- 5+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role, who has attained a Graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimising ‘big data’ data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Strong project management and organisational skills.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Working knowledge of message queuing, stream processing, and highly scalable ‘big data’ data stores.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
If this sounds like your cup of tea, then you could you be the one for us! Please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.